Every day I recognize that I know less than what I believed I did yesterday. At eighty-one years old I am more excited about living than ever. There is so much to do and learn. From the age of sixty to now, I have spent most of this time getting to know myself. Life has become my classroom and most significant teacher. The trials and tribulations have become my truth tellers. I have used each precious day to unlearn to relearn. To undo to redo. Learning is a process that has no beginning, middle or conclusion. It is life itself.
We must place a unique value on how we spend our time, and who we spend it with. We must never stop learning about who we are. Either we select our path in life, or someone else will choose it for us. The way you think shapes the way you live. Do not allow others to measure excellence for you or to define your worth. There is a purpose to your life. It is your task to unearth it. What you watch, read, think and who you associate with will significantly determine the quality of your experiences and the opportunities for your holistic growth.
We only have so many days on Earth. So it is crucial to make every one count. Every new day is a unique opportunity to look within and work strategically to become the very best that you can be while encouraging those around you to do the same.
I wish to share with you relationship lessons I have acquired over my journey of self-discovery. This advice was not learned in a formal class setting but directly experienced through my participation in the classroom of life. The well-known African proverb affirms “It takes a village to raise a child.” Over my eighty-one years, I have come to recognize it takes the building, developing, and maintaining of sustainable and authentic relationships to take you from where you are to where you want to go!
- Relationships are about investing in others and helping people become their best selves.
- Every relationship, whether brief or lasting, helps determine who you are, who you will become, success or failure. So choose wisely!
- Most relationships come with an expiration date. The most important relationship you will ever have is the relationship you have with yourself.
- Promise less and deliver more while exceeding all expectations.
- Deliver unique value. Opportunities lie in underserved markets.
- Learn to see things with fresh eyes and a growth mindset.
- Relationships are built on communication, respect, and trust. They must be established, developed, improved, maintained and evolved.
- Never build fences around you.
- People want and need attention to survive and thrive. It is human nature to want to be loved, respected, appreciated and recognized.
- Create a community of people with whom you can seek and share wisdom, solutions, truth, advice, compassion, and encouragement.
- Take time to reveal yourself to new people and experiences outside of your comfort zone.
- Share your knowledge. Find ideas worth spreading!
- When you walk into a room, make the first three people you meet feel unique and relaxed.
- Never overlook the power of kindness. It is the language that the deaf can hear, and the blind can see!