Are you running toward life or are you running away from life? There comes a time in life when you learn the real value of every single second, minute and hour. You realize that these precious moments must not be squandered but appreciated and celebrated. Over the course of my eighty-years, I have had to unlearn to relearn what it means to live a truly authentic and free life. A life free from worrying about what people think of me and yearning for validation. A life free from consuming the latest fashions, gadgets, and trends to feel accepted. A life free from being subjected to societies rules and regulations. The more our growth is driven by wants, the less free we become. I feel the freest today; then I have ever felt in my entire life. This process did not happen overnight. It has been a journey of toll roads, potholes, roadblocks, and detours, not merely a linear destination. But when I began to search for answers and change from within I was able to harvest, reinvent, and reinvigorate my skills with passion while forging my path of truth-seeking, learning, and discovery.
The moment when we wholeheartedly accept all of who we are and replace untruths with unconditional love and acceptance is the moment the trajectory of our life shifts forever from lack and fear towards abundance and gratitude.
May these seventeen secrets I have acquired over my eighty-year journey allow you to embark on the transformative process of letting go of regrets and turning obstacles into opportunities. As you continuously evolve, reevaluate, and restructure your life, you can begin to live on your terms while being unapologetically you!
1. Before you lead, FOLLOW: To be a real teacher, you must be a learner first.
2. Before you add, SUBTRACT: Every day attempt to do more of what matters and less of what does not.
3. Before you speak, LISTEN: The better you know yourself, the better capable you are of enhancing your life.
4. Before you take, GIVE: We all wear an invisible mask that says: Make Me Feel Important.
5. Before you cry, SMILE: Smiling is the best medicine in the world!
6. Before you succeed, FAIL: Your growth depends on your willingness to be uncomfortable.
7. Before you touch, SEE: Each of us would be better off, if we mastered the ability to place ourselves in the shoes of others.
8. Before you run, WALK: If you want to travel fast, travel alone. If you’re going to move far, go together.
9. Before you believe, DOUBT: Falling is a part of life, getting back up is living. Inside every difficulty, there is a hidden opportunity.
10. Before you start, PREPARE: A dream without a plan and a deadline is nothing more than a wish.
11. Before you think, ACT: Design the life you wish to live. Life is always under construction.
12. Before you judge, UNDERSTAND: Look beyond what is, into what can be and further into what should be.
13. Before you find, SEEK: Never lose sight of the journey and the bridges built from the sacrifice that brought you across.
14. Before you teach, LEARN: Investing in your self-development is the best investment you will ever make.
15. Before you hate, LOVE: Make your life a remarkable story of love, courage, and perseverance.
16. Before you cross, LOOK: See what others do not see. Do what others will not do. Ask what others are afraid to ask. Give more than others are willing to give.
17. Before you die, LIVE: Do not die with your dreams still inside you.