Each day of our life is a special day. It is a gift. The freedom of choice gives us the unique privilege to make our lives anything we want it to be. We can choose to stay stuck and bitter in the past or inspired and optimistic about the opportunities that await us in the present moment. What we do with every precious new day and how we utilize our 86,400 seconds is our choice. Understand if you are not planning your own future, you will become part of someone else’s plan for the future.
There is a real danger that our society is lapsing into a mindset that strives and settles for mediocrity. Information is not the same thing as knowledge. The shelf life of skills is getting shorter. Developing new skills will be an essential must to stay relevant in these ever-changing times of radical disruption. Every choice we make compounds over days, weeks, months and years. Our daily action either propels us forward one step at a time or deters and distracts us off our path. Each of us is responsible for our own attitude, words, actions, and behaviors. If you want to really change your life. You have to do something that alters your daily habits.
Habits are memorized solutions. A lack of self-discipline is the main reason individuals, teams and companies take the wrong path in life. Everything happens for a reason. When you are in the thick of things it is hard to recognize the truism that things get worse before they get better. Mental toughness is the ability to see the bright side of a hopeless situation. We have been conditioned to think that mistakes are bad. Every mistake is actually a learning experience. Great things can come from mistakes if you are prepared to learn from them. You should not worry about making mistakes. So long as it is not the same mistakes again and again.
Realize your ego is always lingering in the shadows, waiting to destruct and unravel everything you have ever worked for and built. So always remain mindful of your choices. You will experience pain, setbacks, and obstacles along your self-discovery journey but you can always choose not to be defeated. The present moment is the only aspect of your life you can control. You can only control what you think, say and do at this moment. You cannot control what other people think, say and do with their moment.
Always hold yourself to just one standard: to be the very best version of who you are. May the following twenty-five keys to improving your life empower you to have the courage and discipline to show up at your very best. As long as you keep moving forward step-by-step, you are growing. When in doubt do not take life too seriously because you and I will not get out alive. We only have so many days on Earth. So let’s make every one count!
- Take ownership of your personal growth and self-discovery.
- Deeply understand this truth: the past cannot be changed. All we have is the here and now. So free yourself, forgive yourself and liberate yourself.
- Surround yourself with as many amazing people as possible. Individuals who accept you for who you are and challenge you holistically to be better. Focus on quality, not quantity.
- You only fail if you quit. No matter the uncertainty always keep moving forward to discover or rediscover your future. It will not come looking for you.
- Be the architect and designer of your own life and career.
- Live life strategically and with intention focusing on your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being.
- Think Big. Execute Small. Act Bold.
- Focus on what is essential. Never become too busy to spread kindness, sunshine, and positivity everywhere you go.
- Every day devote time to skill development and acquisition.
- Do your best no matter the task at hand. If you maintain a high standard of excellence with the little things, you never have to worry about the big things.
- Become the CEO of your brain. Your life is no better than your relationship with your mind. You have to be absolutely vigilant to train your mind not to be swayed by self-limiting beliefs and negative self-talk.
- Listen to learn while unlearning to relearn.
- Your happiness resides within.
- Be a positive difference maker in as many lives as possible.
- Continually work on your craft to make yourself an expert in some phase of your life.
- Do not allow outside opinions to define your reality or disrupt your peace of mind.
- Be a life long learner. Take responsibility for your learning.
- Improve and practice your verbal and written storytelling skills.
- Every day strive for personal freedom. If all you hold onto is bitterness, you can never be free to explore the depths of who you are.
- Practice removing the confines and breaking free from comfort zones in your life.
- Schedule time each day for just thinking.
- Read at least one book a month.
- Use your commute time wisely for audiobooks, podcasts and instructional videos that spark your curiosity.
- Practice daily random acts of kindness. Kindness always wins.
- Be unapologetically You!